Kassandrino Halkidiki Greece and Mola Kaliva Settlement
In the heart of the mountain, somewhere in the middle of Kassandra peninsula, surrounded by tall pine trees, village Kassandrino is located. Although the village is not seaside, it 's worth visiting, due to its picturesque narrow streets, stone built houses and traditional taverns. The vast vegetation of pine, olive and walnut trees that surrounds the village creates a magical atmosphere and generates the refreshing flower scented fresh air you breath.
In the village one can visit the church "Kimisis tis Theotokou", the small church of "Agios Georgios" and the church of Saint Trinity, which was a catacomb and has old wall paintings. The small church of Agios Georgios is 3 km southeast of Kassandrino, in a magical location, full of oak trees. The main local products of Kassandrino village is honey and olive oil.
6 km south of the village Kassandrino "Mola Kaliva" settlement is located. Its name is said to derive from a security guard, some monks had in the area, and whose name was Molas. Molas lived in a small hut (kaliva in greek) and from the phrase "in molas' hut" or "stou mola tin kaliva" derived the name of the settlement "Mola kaliva". Mola kaliva is ideal for those who love tranquility and nature. It is a seafront location full or trees and lust vegetation. There are also many taverns, clubs, bars etc.
Kassandrino village was inhabited from ancient and byzantine era. During Greek revolution of 1821 it was completely destroyed and then, in 1826, villagers started to return and rebuild the village. Only Saint Trinity church and the cemetery survived. The church is believed to have been a catacomb as its roof is low. Just outside the village, ancient currency was found and in the road towards "Mola Kaliva" one can find ancient things, like bricks and tiles. The church of the village "Kimisis tis Theotokou" was built in 1950, using carved local stone. As for the small church "Agios Georgios" there is a traditional rumor that after it was built people saw a large tree twig that could break and fall on the church when wind blew. Thus, they decided to remove it to protect the church. The next day the twig was magically turned towards the opposite direction and the church was no longer in danger.